My thoughts, my emotions, my feelings, my imaginations, my opinions, my fears, my dreams...

Could be yours too...you never know!!!


Follow me in this Journey of Revelation and encourage me with your valuable opinions and comments...

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Marathon or No Marathon…

Every now and then, I get into this –SOUP– situation with my boss. He would put me in a position where I would wonder ‘now what’. He is not a bad boss; infact he has been very supportive and understanding when I really needed both… He would calmly listen to me and my woes and give advices like a big brother. At times, push me to do the extremes to get over some hard realities.
 
But then, if all was perfect, then wouldn’t it have been against nature’s law. Especially in my case, how can it be all good. So is my boss for me too... As you read below, you might feel that I have been dumb to give it back to him on his same style… Statutory warning: I KNOW IT, BUT WHAT TO DO…
 
Story 1 - Past Tense:
During the interview process; he had mentioned vaguely how he does not like people running out of office just bcoz it was past working hours. Me being the workaholic, never had done that and had always left work only after I had finished all my work. I hated keeping work pending or for the next day. So when he asked, “Are you one of them? You might have to stay late.”, I confidently replied, “No, I too wouldn’t like leaving work pending. Even if some days late, atleast I can leave the other days on time…”
 
Present Tense:
Every single day I stay back at work for atleast 1-2 hours more than the stipulated working hours. Not always because, I have pending work to be finished. But just because, he doesnot appreciate leaving on time and gives me a feeling that I am leaving early even if I leave on time or 30 minutes past working hours… “Boss, Can I leave?”, He would look into the clock or watch and comment, “EARLY?”… “No Boss, not early, its already almost one hour past the check out time”… “Yeah Yeah Yeah…!!!”… That would be a ridicule… I leave the work with a ‘grrrr’…
 
Extreme Tense:
One jovial discussion on ‘staying late’ turned ugly when he “Jokingly” passed a comment on people throwing tantrums at work… Unfortunately, it ticked me off. He had to pay for his joke with me openly proposing to “keep an attendance time sheet for myself” to show the hours I put in at work without any sort of breaks… He knows well that I am “RIGHT” and he consoled me saying that his comment was only a JOKE. “Dear Boss, jokes are fine, but until it doesn’t hurt the other’s feelings. In your case, I myself wonder, what is joke and what is not.”
 
Story 2 - Past Tense:
He doesn’t appreciate asking him any questions which concerns a problem. He would say, “Don’t come to me with a problem. I need a solution.” Grrr, when the solution is him, how can I solve it… But bosses are boss.
 
Present Tense:
Every now and then, I will enter his room. Knowing for sure that he is going to blast my ears off with his usual dialogue. Still, I try my luck every time. What if, today, he is in a different mood and agree to give a solution.
 
Extreme Tense:
Getting into sandwich situations from either side, I finally erupted… “Boss, you ask me for solution. But when I find a solution you say, why didn’t I ask you. You need a Yes or No answer, but you forget that within my limitations; I might have a ‘Yes, but only if…’ answers too…” He got my point. Things have changed a bit, but still I need to be careful for those ‘wrong days’ before approaching him with a “SOLUTION”. ;)
 
Story 3 - Past Tense:
I was constantly teased for not participating in one of the company sponsored marathon last year where he was an active participant. He kept making fun of me and pulling my leg every now and then saying, “Is this how you show your integrity to the company.” Etc etc etc…
 
Present Tense:
I decided to participate in this year’s marathon and the registration form is all set to go out. Meanwhile, I volunteered to be part of the company team for a sport related race and we won a prize too. The team members are expected to get a Certificate of Appreciation for the effort and success. Happy days…
 
Extreme Tense:
His usual joke, “You did not do it for company. You volunteered for it.”. “But boss, we were representing the company and company sponsored for us. So we did it for company”. “Nooo, Company did not ask you to go. Yes or No. It was your personal wish to go for it. So it is not for company.”…
 
I lost it… but not too fast… “How can it be so, Boss. Last year, you literally tortured me for not participating in the marathon because company was sponsoring; pulling my leg that I did not give back to the company for its efforts. When that was an individual event and choice and now, when I represented the company for a Team event…You are saying the other way round. How can it be two different morals for the same story.”
 
BINGO!!! I won, Score 1-0…I knew, I had struck the chord right on spot. He was dumbstruck. But above that I knew, it was no longer safe for me to stand in front of him…So I continued…
 
“OKKKK, now I know, it is not safe for me here, so I am running away…hehe!!” He smiled and replied, “Better for you…”
 
Immediate tense:
I deleted the registration form for the marathon.
 
Current Tense:
Ok, Ok, Ok…I know, I know… I am keeping my guards up, until he forget this score… hehe!!! I now wonder, should I register for the marathon or not!!! The big question...
 
Marathon or No Marathon…

0 comments: